The Holy Martyrs of Crete - Theodulus, Saturninus, Euporus, Gelasius, Eunician, Zoticus, Pompius, Agathopus, Basilides and Evaristus - were from different towns and villages scattered across the Greek island. During the reign of the Roman Emperor Decius, a fierce persecutor of Christians, they suffered brutal torture and died as martyrs for their faith in Christ.
Unbelievers brought them before the Roman prefect of Crete. All were made to stand before the Pagan idols and pay tribute to them. When they refused, they were put to brutal torture. Every day for thirty days, they were mocked, slapped in the face and dragged around in manure. Finally, they were sentenced to dismemberment and beheading, becoming martyrs for Christ. A church dedicated to them was built at the place of their martyrdom, and multiple miracles were recorded in later years involving their relics.
In the latter half of the 19th century, the people of the village named in honour of the ten martyrs built an artificial lake. Every day, they drove cattle to its banks to feed them, and with time, the water in the lake was growing dirtier and acquired a foul smell. With time, however, the people began to notice that the water had improved and acquired healing powers.
In 1898, a young shepherd from the village became ill. His condition was deteriorating, and at some point, he was unable to walk. He invoked the names of the ten martyrs in his prayers. They came to him in a vision and instructed him to bathe in the lake and be healed. He followed the advice of the saints and recovered his health. Eventually, the relics of the saints were discovered at the bottom of the lake. Since then, it has been known across Crete and received the name holy.